Thursday, October 12, 2006

 Babies Everywhere!


Hi everyone. My name is Elizabeth and I usually blog here. I'm not expecting and I'm not exactly a new mum anymore (my little one, pictured above is 20 months now), but I have a load of babies to knit for. I have over 30 first cousins, most of whom are between the ages of 20 and 40 and at least three of them are pregnant at any given time. Also, as a socially active women in my early 30s, the friends are having babies at a furious pace as well.

My usual standard baby gift is the umbilical cord hat from the first Stitch 'n' Bitch, knit in pink, orange or green Lamb's Pride Worsted. I've made at least half a dozen of them. I'm looking to find a few other quick things (other than booties, which my own kid would never wear, even though I knit her a pair while in labour) to spice things up. I also just found out this weekend that my brother's wife is expecting in June. It's a ways off, so I don't want to jinx anything by knitting too soon, but I am looking for ideas for a slightly larger project that will be really special. Anyway, I look forward to sharing ideas with all of you!

6 Comments:

Blogger alison said...

Awww, what a cutie! And the little poncho is so adorable. Good luck with all the baby knitting!

11:51 AM  
Blogger TheBunny said...

I love the colors in that poncho/hoodie. Can you give details on that project? I have a niece I think would LOVE it!

1:32 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I really like this baby cardi pattern I knit for my SIL's new baby. It's knit all in once piece and took me about 3 days start to finish (including buttons) using worsted weight yarn. You can see a picture on my blog. Have fun! Sounds like a LOT of potential knitting you have waiting for you. :)
--Amanda

1:51 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Sorry, I can't give any info on the poncho -- I didn't knit it! My mother-in-law made it -- all I know is that she bought the pattern as a single, it wasn't part of a booklet or a magazine. As for the yarn, it's some kind of hand-dye, I'm not sure what brand and the skein band has been thrown out.

Either way, I do encourage poncho knitting for toddlers. I wasn't sure if she'd wear it, but this has turned out to be a very functional fall jacket.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your little girl is such a cutie!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished the first of two cabled baby blankets for a friend who's pregnant with twins. It's the Chunky Cabled Baby Blanket pattern from Sweaterbabe-- http://www.sweaterbabe.com/product_kp18.htm --It works up quickly. It calls for GGH Aspen, but I used Bernat Softee Chunky and it's awesome (much cheaper and also machine washable and dryable--a HUGE plus!!)
Good luck!

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home