Saturday, January 13, 2007

 Simple Hat, a few questions.

Hi everyone! I love seeing all the cute things you've made, it keeps me inspired with all the baby knitting I want to do for friends. One thing I'd love to make is the Simple Hat from the Baby Knits for Beginners by Debbie Bliss, have any of you knit this? I'm hoping this is an ok place to ask a few questions! I'm noticing now that two sizes are listed, but there's no indication in the pattern of two sets of numbers, I hope the numbers are for the smaller one since that's what I'd like to knit. If any of you've knit this before I'd appreciate any insight on that.

I'm curious how much yarn was used (for the smaller size), I know the pattern says two balls, how much of the second ball did you use? I'm trying to do the math to subsitute yarns and I'd like to know if I need to go back to the store to get more! I'm going to use Patons SWS (I just bought a ball tonight and am drooling over this swatch, it is so delicious!).

Also, I'm going to be knitting it on dpns instead of flat, to avoid the seaming, do I need to do some extra number crunching to make that work or should it be ok (so long as I'm on gauge)?

2 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

I can't help you with the pattern since I don't have that book, but knitting on dpns shouldn't change your gauge. You'll just have to adjust your stitches for the pattern to knit in the round i.e. all knit stitches for stockinette instead of knitting and purling... have fun and good luck!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Any good yarn store should let you return the second ball of yarn if you don't need it, as long as it still has the ball band and you have the receipt. Just check when you buy.

I don't have that book, but I do sometimes find Debbie Bliss's books exasperatingly short on useful detail - the patterns are so good, though, I still keep buying them :) You should be safe following the numbers that are given, and I would take a couple of stitches off for knitting in the round.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home