Friday, January 12, 2007

 Perfect Hat For A Perfect Head


Last night I whipped up a little Umbilical Cord Hat (from the first Stitch 'N' Bitch book) for my cousin's aforementioned baby. Since he's a preemie and it's cold here, I figured one of these guys would be in order. I used the Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in the Hawaii colourway that I had left over from a pair of slippers I made before Christmas. It's super soft and perfect for a baby hat (though I'm pretty sure that it's not machine washable) and a good colour for either a boy or a girl.

I have to say, I really love this pattern -- it's as perfect as it gets. Kudos to Jennifer L. Jones for designing it. I've probably made at least half a dozen of these things and it's the perfect baby gift, especially for Canadian babies. I made one for my now-two-year-old before she was born and we got so much use out of it. We had some feeding problems when she was new (I was a breastfeeding fascist and refused to break down and go for formula) and we had to go to the doctor every other day for the first two weeks that she was home with us. Since she was born in February and we lived in Toronto without a car, she really needed a good toque for the walks/cab rides to the doctor's office. And the Umbilical Cord Hat did the job. Plus, you can make one over the course of an evening.

Elizabeth

3 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Gorgeous hat, I love the colourway. Lorna's Laces Worsted is superwash wool, and can be machine washed. I think it can be tumble-dried at a low temperature too.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks Helen. I threw out/lost the label (it's leftover yarn), so I wasn't totally sure. We just went and saw the baby and he's still only 4 lbs, so it'll be a while before the hat fits him anyway!

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute hat,beautiful colors !

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home