Thursday, October 19, 2006

 baby knits

Hi, I guess I'll introduce myself since this is my first post here. I'm a recent graduate of a doctoral program in physics and am now on the bottom (and I mean bottom) rung of the academic totem pole as a postdoctoral researcher. I'm married, but don't have children yet and am not pregnant, though I'd certainly like to be some day. However, I'm an avid baby knits knitter. They're quick to knit, allow you to try different techniques or patterns you might not want to execute in an adult sized garment, and require less yarn buying committment (and are a great way to use up those oddballs you have lying around).

I just finished this baby set yesterday, sized for 3-6 months, for a friend's upcoming bundle of joy. The hat is from the new Rowan Bambino pattern booklet and the booties and sweater are from Melanie Falick's Knitting for Baby. The yarn is Plymouth's DreamBaby DK. I sorely wanted to use something fancy schmancy like Rowan Cashsoft DK, but the more practical side of me won out. The DreamBaby is machine washable and dryable and a much more useful choice (I hope) for a new mother.

Other baby projects I've completed in the last few months is this baby cardigan and booties I finished in June for my thesis committee member's new baby girl. The yarn I used was Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino and the pattern is a free yoked cardigan I found online. The yarn was wonderfully soft, but I've since heard that the Cashmerino doesn't hold up very well with use. I know babies grow out of things faster than you can put them on them, but I'd still like to ensure that they'll survive a few go arounds in the wash.

And the last picture I'll post is a baby cardigan I made as a sample for my LYS several weeks ago. The yarn is Rowan Cashsoft DK and the pattern is from the Rowan Bambino book. The pattern is simple, but with some nice seed stitch details. The embroidery also makes the cardigan special, though it took me some time to get them right. I'm not the best seamstress. Assembling sweaters is the least favorite part of knitting for me.

That's it for now. I'm looking forward to posting more and reading what others are working on!

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

oooh. I especially love the cardigan with the ribbon!

12:12 AM  
Blogger alison said...

Aww, such sweet projects! I love the embroidery on the last one!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Domestic Goddess said...

Wow, you have been busy! Beautiful work!

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home