Monday, March 12, 2007

 Wear Test: Cotton-Ease

Oh Cotton-Ease, how sad I was to see your misguided manufacturer chose to discontinue you - such a wonderful cotton - only to promote its excess of crappy yarns. We knitters pleaded with said manufacturer to bring you back and voila! You've returned in better, less eye-searing colors.

Nothing beats Cotton-Ease for hard-wearing children's knits. Cascade 220 is great for outerwear but Cotton-Ease needs no qualifiers: it is the perfect choice anytime. It feels like cotton, washes like acrylic sans pills, softens like denim and offers a stunningly low cost per yard. I'm tempted to buy a few cases of this yarn before Lion Brand realizes that it actually makes a good product and decides to triple the price.

These were two hastily knit sweaters from my last fortnight of pregnancy (ah, nesting...) They have both seen quite a bit of wear and look just as good as the day they were finished.


Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease
Pattern: Debbie Bliss Special Knits
Needles: US 7

Pattern: My Seed Stitch Baby Hoodie
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease
Needles: US 7

-Elinor

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

That little ribbed jacket from the Debbie Bliss book is one of my favourites: seeing yours, I might just have to knit it again... It looks lovely in that pale shell pink.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Elinor - I always look forward to reading these "wear-tests" and learning what to use and not to use. Thank you! (and I love Cotton-Ease too... I thinking of buying a bunch).

1:29 PM  
Blogger wantaknit said...

Does anyone know if they will be selling Cotton-Ease at Jo-ann's or Micheals? They sell other Lion brand stuff. Personally, I haven't bought much yarn at these outposts but I just might after reading your wear-test comments. Thank you for doing this!

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a some Cotton Ease I'd like to get rid of, if anyone is interested. I have about six or eight balls of red and the same in medium pink. I love the yarn, but have quite a bit left over from other projects.

My e-mail is jenniferstewart1AThotmailDOTcom

5:21 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Adorable baby and adorable sweaters! Thanks for the info on Cotton Ease. I have never tried it...

5:24 PM  
Blogger Dove Knits said...

Your wear test posts are awesome.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Ed Price said...

Wow! Great job. I love the hoodie.

Check out our Daddy Magic list of blog posts about playing with toddlers: http://daddymagic.blogspot.com/search/label/5.%20Toddlers%20-%20Playing

7:13 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Great job and cute model! You also take wonderful pictures! DB should seriously hire you - I've never been tempted to make the sweater by the pics in the book but after seeing yours I may reconsider...

10:53 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

Not only did you knit some fabulous sweaters, but that model is pretty gorgeous herself! =)

Thanks so much for the review. This is becoming my favorite part of this blog -- I hate spending time on stuff that won't wear well, and that is a serious concern when it comes to children's clothing.

They grow so quickly that I want my kids to wear their handknits as often as possible. Yet, at the same time, I always want the knits to look as though they're fresh off the needles.

Thank you again!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Austysmum said...

Ooooh - I do love that little pink number! The seed stitch hoodie looks good too, just that the Debbie Bliss designs really do it for me ;) and the cardigan jumped out a mile at me! Looks fantastic, just like new. Might have to see if I can get my hands on some of that cotton!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Marlene said...

Baby, sweater, and Cotton-Ease....all are looking fantastic. Thanks for the review.

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home