Tuesday, July 24, 2007

 Not so fast

A quick update on the gift sweater I was knitting for my friend's new baby ....

When I called last week to confirm the child's name, I learned that the boy -- who was born weighing just over eight pounds -- has been gaining a pound or more a week, and is now, at the grand old age of seven weeks, weighing in at over 17 pounds. Which means that the red sweater I knit him wasn't going to fit.

O.k., I thought, no problem. He can have the stripey one I was going to keep for my baby. It's bigger, the colors are gender neutral, and Babies and Bears sweaters are a fast knit. He'll have it in more than enough time for fall. Four days later, it was done.

yarn: Nashua Handknits Wooly Stripes (Key West #WS03)
pattern: Babies and Bears sweater (from Cottage Creations)

I even had the perfect leather buttons tucked away into my button box:


Just before I mailed it off I decided to check the size one more time. Good decision.

rats

O.k., fine. I'll keep BOTH sweaters for my baby. Which is fine, but leaves a baby boy in Iowa sorely lacking in handknits, a state of affairs that offends my knitterly soul. Luckily for my peace of mind, however, a solution was easily found ... all it took was a trip to my LYS and the purchase of some bulky weight yarn:

yarn: Ironstone Farms Harmony (MC = #11016/CC = #13060)

I'm pretty sure this one will fit him until December at least.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

That is one big baby! Knit fast!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Sereknitty said...

Love the striped hoodie! The leather buttons add a smart finishing touch.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

They grow too quickly, don't they!?!

8:51 PM  
Blogger mamatoani said...

That's insane weight gain.

My petite baby girl is 17 and 1/2 lb at a year old. Yeah, we're always stressing that she needs to eat more, but wow... And she was born at around 7 lb.

Oh well, at least she doesn't outgrow her baby knits too quickly!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Jofrog said...

Wow, that's a huge baby! My 8 month old isn't even 16lb yet! Good for you to be so diligent about knitting for him. I'd have given up with sweater #2 and bought him something.

Happy Knitting!

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home