Saturday, June 23, 2007

 Snuggly ears

Here is my latest baby knit (although for my 18m old toddler) - a cute little earflap hat from Zoe Mellor's Adorable Knits for Tiny Tots. I have been wanting to make it for such a long time and finally got around to it. I made the medium, thinking that as most patterns in the book start at about 9m size and go up to about a size 3 or 4, that an 18m sized head would be medium (wish there were measurements listed insead of just sizes!) As it turns out, the medium looks like it would be fine for a 12m old, but at 18m my son doesn't get quite as much coverage as I would like. If I pull it down over his forehead the back of his head is exposed. Oh well, it will do for now until I can make him his stripey hat, scarf and mitt set that is now underway for our trip to the snow.
The yarn I have used is very soft (and non-scratchy, low-pilling) knittery fine merino in there seaworld colourway. The colours are gorgeous and it is perfect wool for a baby hat as it's non-irritating and wears well. The blue edging had to be extrafine and soft too, so I chose the Italian merino Zahra for that, and the colour match is perfect.

A little while ago (perhaps a month or so?) I also made a pair of newborn longies for an order. They are made from Treliske - a New Zealand organic merino, just perfect for newborns as it is sooooo soft (although does need handwashing). I dyed it with food colour to create the very boyish, nautical colourway. I must say, it made me very clucky to be knitting something so tiny again, and nice and quick after making everything in size 2-3yrs for my big toddler. All I can say is, bring on a bigger house SOON so I can start trying for nuber 2 and can knit newbie stuff all over again!

Finally, lots of cuddles to all the new babies in here and sleeping vibes to all the new mums. Thanks for sharing all your gorgeous baby pics (not that it's helping my cluckiness!!!!LOL)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hand dyed that yarn yourself? It looks great! I like the color combo. I'm going to have to check out that book for the hat. Maybe I'll make one next winter for my son.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Antenna Installation Chesapeake said...

Appreciatte this blog post

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home