Wednesday, February 28, 2007

 Rugby Romper

It took a bit of searching but I finally found the perfect buttons for the shockingly bright baby romper I've been knitting for our first grandchild, due March 11.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I found cute little floral buttons in exactly the right colors in the beading department of Micheals. It did require that I rip out and reknit the buttonhole band with larger buttonholes, but it was worth it. Ironically they are now the size they were supposed to be in the first place. I had purposely knit the holes smaller as I usually prefer a smaller button and a YO, K2tog buttonhole.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is my version of the "Rugby Romper" a free pattern from the Lion Brand website. I knit the smallest (6 month) size and substituted "Patons Astra" for the "Lion Brand Baby Soft". I used nearly 2 - 50 g balls of black as the main color and 1 ball of each of the contrasting colors: Hot Blue, Electric Blue, Hot Green, and Hot Pink.

Alterations: Between each band of bright color I added a 2 row garter stitch stripe of black to make the colors "pop". I used six buttons instead of eight and knit the sleeves from the top down, I cast on the leg cuffs with tubular cast on and I bound off the remaining ribbing edges in tubular bind off.

Marlene: aka Wovenflame, aka GRANDMA!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

Very nice! I love the colours you chose. :)

3:45 PM  
Blogger B said...

I love it! They'll be able to see that baby coming from a mile away!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Wow. What a great romper. Congratulations on becoming a Grandma! I like how you finished with a neat cast off edge (the tubular). I just finished a baby sweater and regret not having enough patience to learning the tubular cast off for it. I cast on with that method but was in a hurry to finish. Anyway, I love the romper! It will be so cute on that grandbaby of yours!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Congratulations on your new grandson! The romper is a lot of fun. I like bright colors on babies.

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home