Tuesday, February 13, 2007

 No knitting but some baby-related sewing

While there's not much knitting getting done here, I have made a little progress on a project that's been sitting around for a few months. We use cloth diapers. Lots of cloth diapers. Mostly Bum Genius with Chinese pre-folds inside.
When I was pregnant, I made about 200 flannel wipes by sewing two 9"x9" squares of flannel together. The wipes were by far the most useful thing I made in preparation for baby Beatrix.
When Beatrix was a few weeks old, I realized that we could certainly use more wipes (you can never have too many). And they make great gifts. Unfortunately, they're only quick to make if you make a ton at once. Otherwise, they're fairly labor intensive. At the time, I bought more fabric, cut the squares out, matched fronts and backs up, and sewed. I never got around to turning them right-side out, ironing them, and topstitching them closed. Yes, I realize I could cut a few of those steps out if I had a serger but I don't have one and I'm not sure I'm willing to spend the money on one. So, to make a long story short, I turned them out and ironed them. I'll stitch another day and maybe we'll have more wipes before Beatrix leaves for college.

Don't you just love the colors?
I know, I know. Their intended purpose is to wipe a baby's butt. You needn't remind me. I still think they're cute.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

They are cute and colorful! And hey, you may as well wipe baby's bum with something pretty as with something plain. Thanks for sharing photos of your diaper stash. Always warms my heart to hear from other cloth diaper moms :-)

1:07 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

hahahha! It's the little things that makes cleaning a poop shoot a tad bit more enjoyable. :-)

4:02 PM  
Blogger B said...

I love 'em! And I envy your diaper stash! I think you just motivated me to make some wipes!

2:46 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

They are so pretty! It's great that you made something so functional that is so nice to look at. Thank you for doing your part to safeguard the environment!

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We use BumGenius here as well! But our wipes are so boring! Those are completely cute!!

Plan to be expecting late this year or early next - so I will be sure to make cute wipes for the next one!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

The flannel wipes are SUCH a great idea for scraps and absolutely perfect for those who use cloth diapers. I can't believe I never thought of it!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Austysmum said...

The colours are great! I made (if you call cutting and hemming making...) all Austy's bunny rugs before he was born (made about 6-8 which was really handy as they caught a few spills too since they were easy to grab quickly off the bassinette and grab a fresh one out after). The offcuts made perfect bum wipes. I like to use flanel on one side (offcuts from the rugs) and velour or microterry on the other (offcuts from nappy making). I just thought I'd share the tip with you because the velour or terry is great for "grabbing" the mess and then folding the wipe in half to do a final wipe with the smooth flannel side. The serger is great - they don't look as neat as your topstitched ones but I use a contrasting variagated thread and it gives it a bit of zest. Mind you I bought the serger to make the nappies and the wipes are just a bonus! Definitely need a double layer as they get washed so much and wear thin pretty quick if thet are a single layer.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home