Monday, November 13, 2006

 Stripy Luka



This is the Luka sweater from Rowan Junior, in Rowan Wool Cotton. Its funny yarn, isn't it? I didn't particularly enjoy working with it, but it looks very good when it's done, lies very evenly and has a nice weight. It comes in a wonderful selection of colours and I had fun choosing a lot of blues and some contrast.

The neckline should be crew or turtle, but Calum doesn't like tight necks so I did a low neck that just rolled a little. I matched the stripes for the front and back, and where the sleeves joined the yoke, but did different stripes on the sleeves. I put more bright green stripes on the right sleeve, so that he can put it on the right way round easily.

I couldn't weave the ends in as I went because the cotton in the yarn made that too bulky and there was show-through so it had to be done as a separate task at the end, and I'm afraid that about half-way through, which took weeks, I cracked and just cut all the rest of the ends off. Since he'll likely grow out of it before it falls apart, I thought it was better to finish it and give it to him, than try to make it perfect. Sue me. The next time I make a stripy sweater, I'll do it in wool so that the ends can be dealt with as I go along. Knitting is a learning thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

I think your sleeve stripes idea is so clever! And I'm still laughing about all the ends getting cut off--but good point about him outgrowing it first. . . . now I'm tempted. . . :)

8:26 PM  
Blogger alison said...

Love it! Brilliant idea with the different sleeves. And I bet you're right about the ends - they'll hold long enough. Awesome sweater - bravo to you for all that hard work!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home