Sunday, October 29, 2006

 Hello from Norway

I'm a Norwegian knitter expecting my second child on the 28th of March. I was googling for a knit-along for babyclothes when I first learned I was pregnant, so thanks a lot to Alison for hosting this one:-) Since I already have a 3-year old son who attends an outdoor kindergarten I had to finish his winter woolies before I could start anything for the new one. This picture shows the beginning of my first baby garment - it's the back of a wrap-around body stocking, sized newborn. I made one just like this for my son the week before he was born, and it was the first thing I put on him in the hospital after he was born. It was wonderful to see how the warmth of the garment calmed him down immediately. His was made in pure merinowool which had not been treated with any chemicals or superwash, and with the lanolin (wool fat) remaining in the fibers. This one will be made of the same kind of wool, but with silk added. I'm a major fan of woolen clothes for childen (and adults), and especially home knits. My son wears woolen underwear practically all year round - we live above the Arctic Circle. I have however given up on providing him with home knit underwear, as that would have meant knitting nothing else for the last three years... I have a knitting blog in Norwegian: www.fuglemamma.sprayblogg.no - if you see anything there that you would like to know more about just leave me a comment and I'll provide an answer in English.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I enjoyed the pictures on your blog and was interested to see the mittens you are making from Knitting in Estonia. They look especially nice, so I will have to look in my book when I get home. Thanks for sharing

5:38 PM  
Blogger alison said...

Wow, above the arctic circle - well, that really does call for some serious knitwear. Can't wait to see some more authentic Norwegian baby knits!

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I enjoyed your site very much. I tried toleave you a comment there but it was blocked my the spam filter.
If you ever decide to write out the pattern for the long sleeved ribbed onesie, I would love to buy it.
Take good care of yourself.
gnk

12:47 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

I enjoyed your site very much. The long sleeved onesie is adorable!!! I am in DESPERATE need of patterns for a functional nursing sweater. I have seen some but they require multiple layers of clothing and here in Tennessee it doesn't really get cold enough for that. Do you have anything like that or know of anyone who does. My baby is due in January so I still have some time. But my search so far has not turned up any that were cute or functional.
Thank you so much!

cterry523@bellsouth.net

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home