Saturday, February 17, 2007

 Wear Test; Knit Picks Shine Sport

Those of you who read my blog while I was nesting in the last weeks of my pregnancy this summer heard a lot of gushing about Knit Picks Shine:

"It's so soft!"

"So easy to work with!"

"Produces such nice stitch definition."

"Amazingly enough, for a cotton yarn, it doesn't suck!"

The latter, in my opinion, was the highest praise. I always be a woolaholic. I know I'm in good company, right?

So how did Shine stand up to six glorious months of baby wear? Not too bad, all things considered (which means, "Not too bad given it's so cheap.")

Here is a striped baby tank top. Proportionally speaking, it seems wider now than it did when I made it. Granted, I have a skinny kid so everything looks wide on her. It's possible that it shrunk up a little - I can't say for certain. This tank hasn't seen as much wear as the next sweater so it's still in pretty good shape.

Yarn: Knit Picks Shine Sport
Pattern: Baby Tank from Debbie Bliss' Baby Knits Book
Needles: US 4

Now this argyle sweater has seen a lot of wear. And machine washing and drying, as the label professes is possible. Yes, I threw it in the washer in spite of the delicate shell buttons. They haven't broken yet... The sweater looks great from a distance. Even in this photo you can't see the problem.

A fine halo :Yarn: Knit Picks Shine
Pattern: Argyle Cardigan in Debbie Bliss' Special Knits
Needles: US 4

I imagine that's the 50% modal giving off the fuzz but what do I know? It just doesn't look quite as crisp as it did six months ago. Is this a bit picky? Perhaps, but if I spend hours knitting it, I don't want the sweater to go all Holy on me in six months. This won't keep me from buying more Shine because you all know I'm cheap; however, I won't gush as much about it in the future. I promise!

4 Comments:

Blogger alison said...

Awesome! I love the feel of that Shine yarn and am glad to hear that it's holding up well to baby wear and washings. Thanks so much for the helpful review!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Hahhahaha! Great information, will definitely remember that. I have some Shine in my stash that I was thinking of using for some baby stuff.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a cute tank top out of shine worsted for my 6yo daughter and I noticed the halo after one run through the washer and dryer. I was disappointed, but not enough to not want to use the yarn again. It is so incredibly soft that it is worth the halo, imo. But I don't think I'd choose it in the future for something that calls for excellent stitch definition.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous sportseyewear said...

Reading your article should be a priority in order to get information concerning this subject. Congratulations, you did a fine job!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home