Thursday, February 01, 2007

Congratulations to all the new babies!

Just a couple of questions: I've been working on baby hats lately, and my husband's very concerned that the teeny tiny plastic stitch markers I've been using are a choking hazard. We have a seven month old, and we're starting to childproof everything. I was wondering if anyone knows of any that would attach to the stitch or if there is something a little more 'childproof.' Ideas?

I also made my first foray into the Itty Bitty Hats book and my first attempt at double pointed needles. I heart Itty Bitty hats, but something weird is happening when I try to use the DPNs. The hats come out in perfect stockinette stitch until I get to the decrease sequence, and then my stockinette stitch is inside out, i.e. the wrong side appears at the very top of the hat. Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong? I've watched the video on Knitting Help on using DPNs a bunch of times, but I thought I would see if anyone here had a thought for a beginner. Thanks in advance.

--L

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just keep mine out of reach. You can always use short lengths of scrap yarn if you're truly worried.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Re the dpns, I think you might be doing what I always used to do, which is pick up the hat and start knitting in the wrong direction at some point. If you make a point of always keeping the front of the knitting facing you, you should be OK. Unless it's something to do with the instructions in Itty Bitty Hats; I'm still saving up for my copy so I can't comment :)

5:49 AM  
Blogger Marnie said...

i don't know of a single stitch marker that's not a choking hazard. i pretty much avoided them even if it meant lots of counting every single round when i had a tiny kid around. then it got to a point where i could only knit at naptime anyway, so i was just careful to put things away.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I use small scraps of yarn - easy to find, no big deal if you lose.

9:34 AM  
Blogger mamatoani said...

Helen,
I think that is probably exactly what I'm doing because I've done it on two hats now...Thank you!

It did occur to me that it could be the instructions on Itty Bitty Hats, but somehow I doubt she designed every one of the hats with a weird top look. I think it's more likely that it's something weird I'm doing!

Carrie and Brynne and Curlypurly, thanks! I think I'm going to try using scrap yarn...cheap, easy, and would probably avoid any ER visits for the little girl who likes to eat everything in sight.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi L,
I've seen so many new dpn users do exactly what helen said. You may be going the wrong direction. I've had students start knitting on the inside of the hat. When you do this the purl side ends up on the outside of the hat. If you set down the hat just make sure you are knitting in the right direction when you start again. I hope this helps.
Good luck!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home