Monday, December 11, 2006

 Smiley Baby Cardigan


Hi all! This is my first post, and I know I'm pushing it. My little girl is 19 months old (my son is 4), but I take a look at this blog every day and hoped I could contribute a few things before my daughter turns 2. She's still very much a baby, but then all of a sudden not. It's hard to describe this age.

Anyway..on with the knit. This is a modified Easy Baby Cardigan (free!) made with Henry's Attic Kona Merino. This was my first experience with superwash, and while it wasn't entirely unpleasant, it wasn't very special either. It's nice to have washable garments for children, but I think next time I'll stick with cotton if I really want to be able to get away without hand-washing. This was also my first time knitting from the top-down! I *adore* this method of knitting garments and want one of these for myself. The sweater practically knit itself. Was really fun.

Modifications include seed stitch collar and button band. I knitted the button band as I went, so when I was finished, it was done. I should have made the arms longer--M is going to be tall like her father and me. This will not fit her next year, unfortunately, even though the body will be long enough, the arms will be too short. - Jen

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The great thing about knitting from the top down is that you can rip back the cuffs and add some length to the sleeves when you need to!

4:31 PM  
Blogger JenniferB said...

Yes, I'd love to do that but I used the absolute last of the yarn! I even frogged a little hat I had previously made with it to eke out enough for the sweater. so there is none left for the sleeves, sadly. I knit them as long as I could until I ran out. (and it was hand-dyed yarn, so really...no more.)

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you could rip back a few inches, add yarn the color of the buttons,( looks like wood buttons?) and then do the seed stitch cuff like you did, but after the coordinating color is in and you have the length you want. I think that would look just like you intended it to be there. Go for it, if it's worth it to you for your little girl to wear it more than this year, you can do it, doesn't matter if it won't be the same exact yarn. But you did do an awesome job!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Dove Knits said...

I'm sorry, I'm too distracted by your beautiful child to commend on the cardigan! (which is adorable, by the way.)

She can wear it as a shorter-sleeved thing, still. Or you can pick up and knit in contrasting cuffs, kind of like a shirt peeking out from under the cardigan.

12:36 AM  
Blogger alison said...

Beautiful cardigan! I love that little pattern and it's so nice with the modifications that you made. I vote for contrast color at the sleeves to lengthen them when you need to! It'd be a shame to put that sweater away after just one year!

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home