Friday, November 17, 2006

 sock yarn seeks sweater pattern

My sock yarn stash has gone pink! It's hard to admit, but I don't need that many pairs of pink socks.



All this pink sock yarn would be great on a little baby girl though. And since wee one on the way won't have fifty pairs of feet, I'm thinking sweaters.

Soooo, I'm on the hunt for little baby sweater patterns that I can make with about 400 meters of fingering weight yarn. I'm not really in love with the sweater patterns that are specifically written for sock yarn (like "the" Opal baby sweater). I may make one of those, but I'm really looking for pretty, simply constructed sweaters that would be fabulous in a lovely variegated yarn (more like the garter stitch baby sweater I knit for wee one or MamaK's beautiful Koigu Baby Surprise Sweater).

Any suggestions??

--Alison

5 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

There used to be a free pattern in the Knit Picks website but I cannot find it now and it is very similar to the ones you don't like. I can send you the PDF file if you want to. Then, I was recently recycling my sock yarn doing fair isle socks in which I combined a striped yarn with a solid one. Maybe you can do a sweater with an easy motif (squares, stripes...) and the combination of yarns will make it spectacular. But it can also be a risky experiment, I guess...

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out the Bees Knees patterns.
http://www.beeskneesknits.ca/patterns.html
They are written for self-patterning yarn, but a lot of them mix it with a solid color, so that the sock yarn is a nice accent.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Let me know if you find any patterns! I have some Vesper Neopolitan sock yarn that would love to be a sweater!!

7:54 AM  
Blogger E. said...

I'm knitting a pattern from Knitty called Devan that uses sock yarn. http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTdevan.html

4:40 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

You could always double the yarn and knit two strands together. Obviously knit up a test swatch to see if you like the look of the doubled yarn. Let me know what you end up doing with it. I'm curious.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home