Friday, November 03, 2006

 Ribbed Jacket


This is the Ribbed Jacket from Debbie Bliss's Special Knits. It's a sort of baby-sized version of Lara, which I've also knitted. Lara is knitted from cuff to cuff with the shawl collar knitted as you go, whereas the Ribbed Jacket is done from hem to hem and the collar done afterwards with stitches picked up from around the fronts and neck, but they look quite similar at first glance. I wish Debbie Bliss would put schematics in her books: it's really frustrating not to be able to see the finished dimensions, and sometimes it's difficult to visualize what you're trying to do - it's a bit like publishing a recipe book with no photographs and no indication of how many people a dish is intended to feed. If you follow the instructions you get there in the end but I like to be able to see where I'm going :) In spite of that, I like this jacket a lot; I've knitted it twice already and plan to do more.

This is the tiniest size, done in Rowan's Kid Classic, one of my favourite ever yarns. I think it took two balls. I did it in this unbabyish dark raspberry because the baby's name is Inez and I thought something dramatic would go well with her name.

I made a buttonhole on this one, and added a flower-shaped mother-of-pearl button.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home