Wednesday, November 29, 2006

 Baby Surprise Help - Gauge

I decided to make the baby surprise jacket with some Mountain Colors Bearfoot yarn that I have in my stash. My question is for those of you that have made the jacket with sock yarn. I am getting 8 stitches to the inch on size one needles and I'm a little concerned it will be too small. Could you please share the gauge that you got with your yarn? I'm hoping to get it around newborn size - it's so soft, I'd like to take him home in it if possible.

I've only knit about an inch so I won't cry too hard if I have to rip it and start again on larger needles. =)

TIA - I'll really appreciate the info!
Toni

3 Comments:

Blogger jillz said...

Hi Toni,

To be honest, I did not measure my gauge and I don't have access to the pattern right now to check the gauge Elizabeth Zimmerman recommends. The yarn that I used recommended a size US 2-3 needle to get a gauge of 8 sts per inch, but I didn't want a dense fabric so I went up to a size 4 needle. I'm guessing I got less than 8 stitches/inch but I can't say for sure how many.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

Thanks for responding! So it looks like ripping is in my future. I will try it with larger needles. The sad part is I swatched on 1s and 3s (I couldn't find my 2s) and I decided I liked the look of the 1s better! =)

Did you use the new book (I can't remember the title!)? I have the Knitting Workshop which has the pattern in it but it is only in one size so no gauge is mentioned for fingering weight yarn.
Thanks again!
Toni

1:50 PM  
Blogger jillz said...

I have a photo copy of the pattern that was reprinted in Knitter's Fall issue of 1999. The pattern was in a stack that someone was giving away at out guild meeting and I'd been wanting to knit the sweater forever so I grabbed it. Anyways, my pattern calls for 24 stitches to 4" for the sport weight version.

Bearfoot has some mohair in it, so it will bloom too.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home