Friday, November 03, 2006

 Another Ribbed jacket


This is the Ribbed Jacket again, knitted for my great niece, Cara, in Rowan Silk Aran. The colour is called Charm and is a very pale pink with tiny bits of other colours, including green. It made me think of Spring all the time I was knitting.

Silk Aran contains silk, linen and viscose - yes, I know it's not very practical for a child! I started off with Addi Turbos but the yarn slid about everywhere so I bought my first pair of bamboo needles, (Addi circs again) and it was a dream after that. The yarn is delicious to work with as it has the cruch of silk and linen combined with a little give from the viscose so that your hands don't get sore, and the yarn doesn't get split by the needles. The scrap of yarn beisde the cardi in the photo is what was left over when I finished - phew.

I didn't put any fastening on this one and I think the brooch they suggest is a bit impractical for a baby so she wears it in a casual, open style: the sleeves look good rolled up if it's a bit big to start with and can be rolled down as she grows. She looks very elegant in it - when she's standing still, which isn't often.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that pattern! How old is your niece? Which size of the pattern did you make and how many balls did it take? (My dd is 3 and would look great in this jacket!)

I think those REALLY big 'safety pins' look good on this type of sweater to fasten it closed--kind of like the one used in a similar pattern called 'Mia' in Junior Knits by Debbie Bliss. (It's the cover photo on the book) Just a thought.

Great job on both!!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Thanks, Stacee. I think I made the 9-12 months size. My great-niece is small for her age so she's getting more wear out of it than I expected. And I think I used 3 balls of the Silk Aran. Actually, the yarn isn't as impractical as it seems: as long as it doesn't go in a hot wash or is allowed to dry naturally, it's quite resilient.

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home