Tuesday, May 13, 2008

 Daisy Cardigan : A Review

Before I had my twin sons I was here all the time, scoping out new projects and leaving congratulation comments for all the new happy Mamas. Well, the boys are a year now and I do not get around here enough. I wanted to check in, there are still so many great projects and so many cute babies.

I thought it would be good to review a project that I knit before the boys came and posted about here. The pattern is theDaisy cardigan found over at Knitty.
Hoodies

I chose this pattern because I love hoodies, but I just realized when I went back to link to the pattern that it has the esteemed Yarn Harlot as it's designer. I knit 2, one for each, in a substituted yarn. I chose to knit with Classic Elite Premiere in a light blue and a nice green.

So, now, over a year later, with both pieces having seen a lot of use and abuse, I am happy to give both yarn and design a big thumbs up.
Back detail

The pattern was fun, lots of seaming, but small enough to not overwhelm. The construction is that of knitting fronts and backs and sleeves, which I am not overly fond of, but it did not bother me because this yarn is a real pleasure to work with. It is not terribly hard on the fingers despite the cotton content and the sheen is lovely. And it has proven to be the perfect yarn for baby knits, long wearing, little staining and not too much pilling.
'Daisy' cardigan

I have washed both of these so many times and they emerge from the dryer rumpled but wearable.

I never quite got around to any of the suggested embellishments, I wanted to embroider some cute felt animals onto the front lapels (ah, to dream, combining knitting and embroidery, to have the time). The sweaters are plain as is, but I think my boys dress them up nicely. One thing I would recommend is to sew in a light zipper or add afterthought button loops because unless the boys are stationery in stroller or backpack, these sweaters rarely stay on. I have resorted to safety pins on fronts.
'Daisy' cardigan

I am such a lazy knitter.

Taking these photos today made me realize they actually have a lot of room left in them, I say they will likely use them until Fall. The sleeves are long but can be turned up or sucked on by teething mouths, the hoods fit perfectly.
Sleeve detail

I think they have been wearing them since 6 months or so, but I cannot remember what size I chose to knit. Overall, I highly recommend both yarn and pattern for anyone looking to make a useful handknit for yours or to gift.

One note, I noticed the BSJ in the previous post and the author's comments regarding size. I knit a BSJ in sock yarn (Koigu, to be exact) and used size 7s and came out with a sweater that fit my boys at around 6 months until about 8 or so. It is such an awesome pattern because the sleeves tend to be 3/4 which keep them out of all the stuff of baby hood.I found the resulting fabric light but still warm. Hope that helps anyone with some lovely sock yarn begging to be made into a BSJ. I think I used approximately 2.5 skeins....oh, how I wish I documented over at Ravelry consistently.

Anyway, knit on, KBBBs. I can be found here if you want to see a few grown up projects and a few more cute pics of the boys. Happy late Mama's day to you all!

4 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

They look lovely, much better than the pix on the pattern page. I wouldn't have thought to knit them if I hadn't seen yours but now I'm trying to think who I know who's pregnant. The safety pin makes a cool fastening too :)

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH WOW !!!! I JUST LOOKED AT YOUR BLOG AND THIS IS THE SWEATER THAT I AM KNITTING RIGHT NOW FOR A BABY GIFT !!!! IT IS SO GREAT TO SEE IT FINISHED AND ON SUCH CUTE MODELS !!!!I HAVE JUST STARTED THE SECOND SLEEVE. I WASN;T GOING TO MAKE THE HOOD, BUT AFTER SEEING YOURS, I THINK I WILL !!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SUCH CUTE PICTURES !!!
BARB :0)

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your boys are so cute! My wife and I are getting close to starting a family, so it's great to read & get tips from other parents.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I love Classic Elite yarn, what great sweaters! I knit baby hats all the time, but I have been slowly making more sweaters, and the hoodie is ambitious. I think I am ready, what a great pattern.

Your boys are adorable!

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home