Thursday, May 31, 2007

 EZ Shorties


Pattern: Baby Leggings from Knitter's Almanac
Yarn: Patons Classic Merino in camel
Needles: US size 5 circs
Gauge: Between 5 and 5 1/5 stitches per inch
Unstretched measurements: 16" waist, 21" hip (widest part, at last increase), 20" rise. It fits my 14-month-old son perfectly (but with not a whole lot of room to grow, so it would probably fit a younger baby as well).
Mods: Increased the number of stitches set aside for the crotch to 14 front and back; 5 stitches just doesn't seem like enough for an active toddler. Also did just 7 rows of ribbing after dividing for the legs to make shorties instead of longies.

The rise is indeed long, as I've read elsewhere, but I decided to just knit the pattern as written (with the exception of the mods mentioned above) the first time just to see how it turns out. It's really not that long after blocking, and since I used merino, I know it'll shorten some with the felting from regular wear anyway, so I'll probably be thankful for the extra length down the road.

This was a fun and easy pattern, and it turned out really cute. So far I give it a thumbs up, but my little man hasn't worn it yet. I'm interested to see how it fits and behaves on a babe in action.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger mama k said...

i'm interested to see how it works for you. I bought some Pattons to make shorties, but haven't decided on a pattern yet. : )

4:45 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Mama K--It's great so far! He's wearing it right now, and it fits beautifully and, since I lanolized pretty heavily, it's holding in the wetness very well. 5 spi is about as large a gauge as I like to do with Patons for soakers (6 spi seems ideal to me, but 5 spi works well for daytime too). If you make this pattern as shorties, I would definitely take extra stitches for the crotch (I did 14 instead of 5)--that makes the leg holes a bit smaller too and gives you much better coverage in the crotch area and around the legs.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Those are really great. I've been thinking about making some longies for my baby (due in Sept) ...

7:50 AM  
Blogger Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Oh my gosh, these shorts are precious!!!!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home