Tuesday, April 03, 2007

 Baby Log Cabin Blanket

I wanted badly to test-drive the log cabin style of knitting made notorious by the Mason-Dixon Knitting book, and my recent resolution to bust my stash gave me the perfect opportunity to do it. I ended up using up a significant amount of my stash, and I am thrilled with the results! Who'd have known that I could come up with these color combinations just from stash?! Normally I'm so OCD and would have to plan out a project like this down to every color and stripe sequence, but this time I forced myself to keep it as random as I could stand it. There are 16 colors total, with 8 colors on each corner. The yarn is Caron Simply Soft, and I used US size 8 32" circular needles. Each stripe is 6 garter ridges wide, and I used the lime green to edge the blanket. I really like how it picks up the green in the blue/purple/green side and the yellow in the red/pink/orange side. I highly recommend this project for anyone who needs to use up some yarn and who loves the stress-free knitting of soothing garter stitch. It was a delightful knit.

After I finished up this project, I decided to pick up a blanket I'd put away for some time. It's a 100% cotton flannel receiving blanket that I'd started a crocheted edging on. For a while I was accumulating as much of this yummy fabric in various prints as I could get my hands on, so I'm considering this as part of my yarn diet/stash-busting. These blankets are just perfect for those summertime babies!

11 Comments:

Blogger Devonshire said...

What a beautiful blanket. The colors are so lovely.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome blanket! Is that in the Mason Dixon book?

5:51 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Yes, the log cabin blanket is in the Mason-Dixon Knitting book. The crochet-edged one is not though.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I LOVE THAT BLANKET!!! I'm going to have to try that. I don't have much of a stash yet, but I won't mind buying lots of new yarn for that one!

6:42 PM  
Blogger knitting elephant said...

I love your blanket! I'm working on the log cabin blanket myself, but I'm letting my son pick each color I use when I need to switch. I'm sure he'll love it, but I'm not so sure it will be blog-worthy!! :-) Great job!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Beautiful!!!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

The crocheted-edged blankets are so nice---I've made hundreds of them over the years. Your choice of flannel is terrific!

11:55 PM  
Blogger PutYourFlareOn said...

That log cabin balnket came out so well! Bravo!

1:47 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, that's gorgeous! :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Jofrog said...

Great blanket! I love the two halves. I'd never have thought to do it that way. Knit on!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Blanket looks fantastic. Very eye catching.

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home