Friday, September 19, 2008

 Garter Stitch Baby Cardigan

I've had the pattern for the baby cardigan in my pattern binder for probably almost as long as I've been knitting. When I realized that knitting was going to be a forever hobby of mine, I started trying to organize my patterns so they'd be more accessible when inspiration struck. I would get a knitting magazine, and, after going through it a few times, I'd tear out the patterns I was interested in knitting, put them into plastic sleeves, and file them away in big 3-ring binders organized with page separators by category (cardigan, pullovers, men's patterns, socks, baby, etc.). I've found that most patterns have their source information at the bottom of most, if not all, of their pages. Sadly, this pattern did not. I'm pretty sure it came from the now no longer in publication Family Circle Easy Knitting, but I can't be certain. The yarn I used an extremely soft and smooshy 100% superwash wool I got for 50% off in a bargain bin at my LYS. This cardigan was my attempt at stashbusting. I'm thrilled with how it came out.

I had to do a little adjusting because I was pretty lax about gauge. My sweater falls between the 1-2 month and 3-6 month sizes. I also modified the little collar a bit to make the edges a little more sloped. The clasp was something I added on my own; it was just too cute, especially with the buttons I picked out. I love the Asian feel of it. I also wanted to try to keep the cardigan as unisex as possible. I think I did pretty well!

You are welcome to head over to my Ravelry page to read more details about this little sweater.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this sweater, so sweet and beautiful in its simplicity. If you find the pattern, please let me know!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Yarn Bazaar said...

The baby cardigan looks cool! The color blue suited it well. There are many knitting patterns for babies and everywhere in the internet so maybe you could find the patterns you are looking for.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home