Thursday, January 04, 2007

 Baby hats!













two simple roll brim baby hats in stockinette from the Yarn Girls' Guide to Kid Knits (the Prepster hat)
Yarns: Blue Sky Alpaca organic cotton in cream (so soft!); Lorna's Laces shepherd worsted in sorbet. I'm in love with the sorbet color. The Lorna's Laces is superwash wool which might be handy for a baby knit.
Knit on straight needles, size 8, bamboo.

One has to ignore the fact my baby girl scratches her little face like a prizefighter! We do trim those teeny tiny fingernails but to no avail.

I have a lot of trouble with seaming...my seams look ok but I don't think I'm doing it "right." I tried to follow the Yarn Girls' instructions, but it's a little hard to follow from the book. Any suggestions?

5 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Fab hats, and gorgeous baby. I just love Lorna's Laces worsted for hats: I've done them in Bittersweet, Iris Garden and Black Watch and they all look great.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Cambria said...

When I first started knitting I would have trouble with the seams too. So I started by laying the garment together with right sides touching and would pin it in place so that it held it down as I seamed. I still do that if it's a large item. I recomment the Vogue Ultimate Knitting Book. It covers every technique with really great illustrations, and tells you when you'd want to choose one technique over another.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Cute hats! Have you tried seaming using mattress stitch? That's what I use, and it's darn near invisible. Here are some good tutorials:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php (scroll down to the "Finishing" section)

5:16 PM  
Blogger mamatoani said...

Thanks all! Kelley, I think I'm doing something wrong when I try mattress stitch so I'll check out Knitty and the Vogue book (thanks, Cambria!)

Helen, I'm really excited to make a hat in Bittersweet sometime. It looks so pretty.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

I second Cambria's recommendation for the Vogue Ultimate Knitting Book. It shows step by step instructions for seaming. But that said, have you tried (assuming the yarn is strong enough and not likely to break) just pulling on both ends of the seaming yarn? I've found that this "hides" the yarn you're seaming with, and the two pieces of the knitted garment come together. Note: I only do this when seaming stockinette stitch edge to edge.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home