Monday, October 29, 2007

 Striped baby sweater

Well, ok. My baby niece isn't really a baby-baby anymore -- she's almost one -- but that still counts, right?



I made this following Elizabeth Zimmerman's percentage sweater system, along with her directions for a round yoke sweater. It was a very simple little cardigan to knit, but I'm really digging the details, like the sleeves knit in the round with a jogless join. The button bands were knitted in using intarsia. I love intarsia. The way the two colors join together is just magic to me!

I also avoided cutting the yarn between stripes so I don't end up with a billion ends to weave. Instead, I traveled the yarn that was not in use up, tucking it behind the intarsia joins. It's invisible from the front, and there aren't huge loops of yarn sticking out for the baby to snag her fingers on.

And, of course, I love the buttons:



This was also a great project to use up leftover skeins. I had one skein of Paton's Classic Merino (the leafy green) and a skein and a half of Swish in Dublin colorway (the darker green). This used up all of the Paton's and a skein of Swish.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my! i love, love, love that sweater. the colors -- the constructions -- the buttons! explain more about knitting the button bands using intarsia? or perhaps i should consult with an EZ book?
in any case, lovely work!
jessica

11:47 PM  
Blogger Dove Knits said...

Jessica -- thank you! You're so kind!

I used intarsia for the button bands, meaning that when I was knitting with the dark-green yarn, I was knitting the button bands off a separate bit of yarn (a separate piece for each). To join the dark green stripes of the body with the button band, I would use the same technique as is used in intarsia, that is, to twist the two yarns with each other when making the color change. It prevents gaps in the fabric where the color change occurs. I don't remember where I learned intarsia, alas, so I can't set you up with a link, but I'm sure you could find it (it's not in the EZ books).

When I was knitting the light-green stripes of the body, I was using the same yarn to do one button band and the body stripe. The second button band I still did using intarsia from the second little ball of yarn, the one I used to work the second button band.

I'm sorry, this is really confusing!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

You did a great job on this sweater!

I am so impressed!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Amanda #1 said...

That is THE cutest baby sweater I've seen in a long time. I may need to break down and figure out the EZ's EPS. Great job!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Sereknitty said...

Really lovely!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful sweater, and so cool! It's a real knitter's sweater.

O-kay, people, help me out. What does that mean "EPS?"

10:06 PM  
Blogger Dove Knits said...

Tamara: EPS = Elizabeth's (that's Elizabeth Zimmerman) percentage sweater. Roughly, all it says is that the number of stitches needed for the body is 100%. Sleeves are 33%, and then there are percentages for the neck, ribbing, etc.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home