Thursday, October 25, 2007

 Knits for twins!

One of my blogger friends' husband just became a grandfather to fraternal twins, a boy and a girl, and I wanted to send them a little care package!

For the little boy, I designed a henley-type sweater. It was knit in the round with drop-shoulder sleeves, and split down the middle to make the neckline. The really plush, stretchy stitch pattern is Sailor's Rib from Barbara Walker's 2nd Treasury, and the sweater's knit in Caron Simply Soft:



For the little girl, a cardigan with a cute little collar, also designed by me (although I've seen a similar sweater in Vogue Knitting at one point). It's also in Caron Simply Soft, for machine washability, and also made using Barbara Walker's 2nd Treasury, but for the life of me, I can't remember which stitch pattern this is:



For the little feet, Saartje's bootie pattern (PDF), which I've been dying to make. These are a nice, easy knit, all in garter stitch, and the pattern is very clear and even illustrated! I had to change it a bit to accomodate my worsted-weight yarn (Swish), so I cast on 25 stitches and knit two fewer rows. I also shortened the straps by a few stitches.



For even yarn usage (I was using leftovers), I made the second pair in reverse:



And, finally, garter stitch hats to match the booties (no pattern here, either, but these were knit flat and then seamed):



I just got word today that my blogger-friend got the care package. I hope she likes it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

those sweaters are VERY cute! you did a great job. i am so scared of sweaters and here you are just designing your own! great job! i know she will love the whole package!

11:38 PM  
Blogger naganasu said...

How wonderful it is! I love your colouring.
It is sure to like them absolutely.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These all look so cute. I wish we had cold weather here just o buy some.
Hi I am a cartoonist and have a kids content website www.brendasfriends.com. I would like your opinion on it. It is in the early stages and I want feedback to best serve kids and parents. Please visit the coloring pages and blog. I would be happy to add you to my blog role if you just ask.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home