Saturday, October 06, 2007

 mama knitted me something pink



or... when a pattern works!
I finished the ribbed jacket for my wee one just before her birth and right before our mountain holiday. Let me know how I really love this pattern as a knitter and as a newly mum.
First of all I can say how this pattern is easy to follow and quick to realize: a single piece (the body) sewed with the touch of the ribbed edging working directly on the main body (just simply picking up stitches). Not a lot of nasty and boring sewing, a shape that fits perfectly the baby and the simple and smart use of stockinette stitch. As a mum I suggest this pattern to mums and to everyone who wants to knit something useful and lovely: the jacket could be worn as a jumper in the grey and cold winter or as a jacket over a light sweater in the warm autumn. I appreciate the lack of numerous sewing, partly because I hate it, partly because the jacket is more comfortable for the babies. Then, if you want you could embellish the ribbing edging with a brooch, a button or ribbon, just to close it and cover tiny bellies!
Pattern: ribbed jacket from Special knits by Debbie Bliss (I found it in a copy of Quick & Crafty - April 2005)
Yarn: the original pattern requires Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran but instead of that I used less than 4 balls of Filatura di Crosa Zara Plus (shade 24). The gauge is the same, using a pair of 4.5 mm straight needles. The extrafine merino is the softenest I've ever used!

1 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Gorgeous. That's a favourite pattern of mine and you've just reminded me that I haven't made it for a while...

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home