Saturday, October 07, 2006

 Inca Cotton Blanket

I adore Inca Cotton. I made my daughter a sweater from Inca Cotton 2.5 years ago and it still looks great. It's getting a little snug and the sleeves have been added to 3 times already, but it's a daily wear piece and while it looks worn, it doesn't look ratty.

This is an organic colorgrown cotton yarn (ecru, 2 solids, and 2 tweeds). It calls for 3.5/in on US 10.5s but I've knit it at anything from 3.5/in. to 5/in. on 10s through 7s. It's very flexible. Though it's a slubbyish, thick and thinish yarn it maintains a bit of elegance and has excellent drape. I make a lot of dresses with this yarn (some examples) and I love playing with the natural colors.

The skeins are huge 8oz skeins with 325 yards to them. I just buy loads of it and stripe whatever colors I have on hand in whatever configuration I feel like at the moment. And the yarn leftovers make excellent baby washcloths.

So I made this blanket: a simple basketweave, on US 9s at 10 st and 14 rows to 3 inches. I did a 7 row and 5 stitch border in seed stitch and did 9 basketweave blocks to make an approximately 30"x30" blanket. I love it and it will get loads of use.

I also just made myself an early pregnancy/early post-partum/nursing sweater from the same yarn. As soon as I can get a photo I'll post one.

Oh, and I suppose i should introduce myself: I'm Marnie, due in April with #2. I've only been knitting about 4 years now, but I think I've clocked as many hours at it as someone whose been knitting for 40. It's my hobby, my trade, and my obsession.

3 Comments:

Blogger alison said...

Wow, cute dresses! The blanket is really lovely. I think an organic cotton is a great choice for baby things.

Oooh, I happen to have some Blue Sky Organic Cotton sitting around in my stash, and it's pink! :)

12:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The blanket and the dresses are beautiful. Can't wait to see the sweater.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Oh that blanket looks so perfect for baby.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home