Thursday, January 18, 2007

 FO - Baby surprise jacket


Inspired by all the other great baby surprise jackets I saw in this group, I started my own last week and finished last night...just in time, 6 days until my due date!

Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmerman

Yarn: approx 350 yards of handpainted merino sock yarn from Blue Swallow Handmade, color: “Early Evening

Needles: KnitPicks Options circs, size 4

This was a relatively quick knit for me, I started Friday night and finished last night, knitting for 2-3 hours a day. I’d never used an Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern before, so I didn’t really know that her patterns are more like general guidelines rather than specific word for word instructions…this presented a problem for me because I had no idea what the hell she was talking about. Huge thanks to Marlena for helping me decipher it with a handy spreadsheet! After the initial rough start, I got into a rhythm and it became an easy knit. The patterns calls for a gauge of 6 st/inch, and I got 6.25 st/inch, so I knew it was going to be a little smaller, but it looks super small to me… I don’t really have any concept of baby sizes though, so hopefully it will fit a newborn. I’m going to try to block some additional size in to it tonight. Do you guys think it’s gender neutral enough? It’s mostly orange, but it has some pink in it, but also some blue, so I was hoping they balanced each other out…

~Bertha

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

It does look pretty girly to me. My eye was immediately drawn to the pink, while the blue is barely visible in the picture.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, that it is a beautiful little jacket. The colors remind me of a sunset.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks gender neutral in terms of color, but you sewed buttons on the left! Does that mean you're subconsciously expecting a girl? :)

Lovely jacket!

I knit a BSJ myself but am waiting to know for sure to sew on the buttons.

-Deepa

4:57 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

That is so cute! I am a big fan of orange and my son looks great in orange. If you want to make it more obviously boyish, you could always pair it with some blue socks and hat for the gift.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home